The Community Forest Agreement is held by the Squamish Community Forest Limited Partnership – a collaboration between Skwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation) and District of Squamish.
Squamish Community Forest Corporation is the General Partner of the LP and the Squamish Nation (through their company SN Limited Partner Holdings Limited) and District of Squamish are Limited Partners. Squamish Nation and the District of Squamish are equal shareholders of Squamish Community Forest Corporation.
Key principles that guided creation of the partnership
- The District and Squamish Nation each contribute 10,000m3 of annual allowable cut.
- The District and Squamish Nation are not responsible for operating costs or required to provide human resources.
- The District and Squamish Nation will receive profits from the Community Forest.
- The Community Forest will be managed by a forestry management company.
- The Community Forest will be operated to enhance local economic development while providing increased local input into the planning of the area to enhance the recreational opportunities.